Friday, August 5, 2016

You never know who your boss may be someday

You Never Know Who Your Boss Will Be Someday...



I had a friend who used to complain about his boss ALL the time.  His boss was so disrespectful and talked down to his staff.  I honestly couldn't believe some of the stories my friend used to tell me.  Apparently his boss had been with the company for some time and was just a real jerk.  He would tell me that his boss was selfish, disrespectful, and belittled everyone below him.  Well...management finally had enough of it , other employees were constantly complaining about him and so his boss was eventually got demoted. (I'm sure there were other reasons as well). 

The title of my post is "you never know who your boss will be..."  Well...my friend that I was talking about?  Now he is the boss of the guy who was demoted.  Luckily for his EX boss my friend is a very good person.  My friend believes that Karma will take care of people and so he doesn't treat anyone unfairly (even if they deserve it). So, the ex boss, who treated him SOOOO bad went behind my friend's back complaining about him to other employees. Of course it got back to my friend  Long story short, my friend treated the ex boss respectfully after talking about him being his back and just told the ex boss that if he has any issues they can resolve those issues together and that they are a team.  He only said that the guy should just come to him and not other co-workers.  This "ex boss" is lucky that my friend is his boss now and NOT some of the other employees he disrespected for so many years.

Another example is...At a previous company that I worked at two women had worked together (in different positions and different offices but in the same division for over 15 years).  They were both in sales at one point and competitive roles at another point but always worked in the same division/market...etc. One of these 2 women was a bit catty and was known to throw the other woman under the bus and at times she tried to make life difficult for the other woman.  I didn't know this for a long time while working with these ladies, but I learned later that the woman who WASN'T catty and treated the situations as just friendly competition ended up being the other woman's boss. She till is to this day and has been for about 10 years.  

The advice part and title of my post is..."you never know who your boss is going to be one day."  In both of the situations above, the bosses happened to be "the bigger person(s)" but that is not always the case.  


If I can offer any advice it would be to treat people equally.  Don't treat anyone in any position as if you are better than they are in any way.  Something else- I have people who have downright told me off because they didn't get a job after an interview or they didn't pass an assessment or for whatever the reason was...a lot of those people ended up applying again at a later time.  (as if I would forget the awful things they said to me for reasons that were not even my fault.)  BUT I've never commented on the behavior, addressed it or even acknowledged it.  Typically in situations where a candidate has purposefully offended me I've actually offered job sources, websites and job seeking information.  Why?  Because I assume they must have really needed the job and that they  acted out based on emotions and may be dealing with something I know nothing about.

Someone getting the last word in or one upping someone else will get them NO WHERE.  It may feel good for about 2 seconds but at the end of the day it actually shows that someone was unable to remain professional and keep their cool. A hiring manager would not want to employee someone that could potentially go off on a client or a customer. This type of behavior can be assumed that the person may be unstable in stressful situations and would probably not be given a second chance in the future with other opportunities with the company. 

In the "work from home" industry people know people.  I myself would NEVER ruin someone's chances of an opportunity regardless of what their behaviors and/or actions BUT there are people out there who would.  My advice is to #1 DON'T BURN BRIDGES...you may need to walk across that same bridge again in the future and #2 BE RESPECTFUL.  If you land a job for whatever reason it doesn't mean that there isn't an opportunity later.  Like I said, "people know people".  One quick reaction can hurt a future chance at something great. 


In my opinion it's important to be the bigger person even in unfair situations.  This may seem to most people like an obvious observation but people always assume the grass is always greener and then some want to go back to an old position or company after they've already burnt those bridges.  The grass is NOT always greener. A future employer could call a previous boss to do an employment verification one day (of a bridge that may have been burnt)...there are many reasons why it is just plain better to bite your tongue. :)

These are my opinions based on experiences and what I've learned.  We all make mistakes.  I have burnt bridges myself in the past.  I've said things I wish I could take back but I learned from those mistakes and I try to be a bigger person (Even though I'm under 5'0) lol. 

It's never too late to make changes in your life.  Sometimes it's still not to late to fix what may seem broken.  Good luck!! :) 


Final thought...some bridges ARE worth burning. ;) Just saying... Image result for Wink emoji







2 comments:

  1. This is provocatively written, thought-inspiring and in general, awesome. Karma does come around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discover how THOUSAND of people like YOU are making a LIVING online and are fulfilling their dreams right NOW.

    Get daily ideas and methods for making $1,000s per day FROM HOME for FREE.

    GET FREE INSTANT ACCESS

    ReplyDelete